One of my favourites for traditional Gujarati food, this is a simple recipe, but it is slightly different to the normal curries so it is good to make when you are having friends over. This is a curry where the vegetables are stuffed with a spicy mixture. Recently I have also added mushrooms to the list of vegetables in the dish, which is quite a good combination with all the other vegetables and spice/gravy mix. As with all the Asian recipes the spices can be added to taste and you can experiment with different ones to what I have used. You can also just steam the vegetables, which gives a very dry curry, but tastes equally good. As I have grown up with the one with a tomato gravy, that is what I have shared with you. I hope you give this recipe a go, it is worth trying once and goes well with chapatti (Indian wholemeal flat bread) and rice.
Stuffed Vegetable Curry (Bharelu Shaak)
Quantity of vegetables can be varied according to the number of people enjoying the meal. I normally use 2 of each vegetable and a spare potato. Serves 2.
6 medium to small potatoes
4 small aubergines
1 medium carrot
4 small onions
1 cup peas
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp oil for tempering
1 tsp each of mustard, cumin seeds and asoefatida powder
1 cup chickpea (besan/gram) flour
1 tsp each of, salt, chillies powder, turmeric, ground cumin and coriander
2 tsp each of, ground nuts, ground fennel (variali), sesame seeds
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
* you can add 1 tsp of garlic paste *
1) Mix the stuffing mixture to resemble bread crumbs and keep aside.
2) Cut small wedges out of the top and bottom or centre of each of the vegetables then fill them with the stuffing mixture, and keep aside.
3) In a pan temper the oil with mustard seeds, cumin and asoefatida. Once they start to pop add the vegetables and the tomatoes.
4) Sprinkle any remaining flour mixture and let it cook on a low heat until the vegetables are done. Try not to mix or move vegetables too much as they tend to break, alternatively you can cook them in the pressure cooker.