Like all other exotic fruits I love pineapples and have always had it raw. When you cook it, the taste and texture changes completely. This recipe brings out the flavour despite the use of spices. Do not be put of by the list of ingredients, just break it down and it is a simple step by step recipe. I normally make a batch of the lemongrass paste and freeze it, so as I can use it when ever I want to flavour anything. Doing this make its much easier to tackle this recipe as all the other ingredients are part of my spice rack. Aromatic and full of flavour, this recipe is worth a try.
Thai Pineapple Rice
Add the salt when cooking the rice, this will ensure that the seasoning is mixed well. You can use chilli flakes if you do not have dried red chillies. I use ready to use coconut cream which comes in a block form, however you can get cans of coconut cream.
Preparation:- 40 mins. Cooking time:- 20 mins. Serves 2
1 Fresh pineapple
4 cups cooked rice
1 cup coconut cream
3 onions chopped
1 green chilli chopped
4 tbsp yellow curry paste
4 tbsp raisins
4 tbsp roasted cashew nuts
4 tbsp butter
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
For the Yellow Curry Paste
1 tbsp cumin seeds, roasted
1 tbsp coriander seeds, roasted
3 to 4 stalks of lemongrass, chopped
1/2 tbsp grated ginger
1 dried red chilli, deseeded
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small onion chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp salt
1) Wash the rice several times in warm water, and leave to soak in water. In the mean time chop the pineapple, cutting it half length ways, then score a grid in it about 2cm cubes and scoop out the flesh.
2) Cook the rice in boiling salted water, this should take about 10 mins as the rice was soaked. Make the paste while the rice is cooking.
3) For the paste first dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds for around 2 minutes (you should be able to smell the aroma), place into a food processor or grinder. In the same pan roast the cashew nuts and keep aside for later. Place all the other ingredients and grind to a fine paste, you can add a few spoons of water if needed to create the paste.
4) Strain the cooked rice and rinse under cold water to remove the starch, keep aside.
5) In a wok heat the butter (you can use oil if you wish), add the onions and green chilli and fry till soft. Add the yellow curry paste and fry for a further 1 or 2 minutes. Then add the pineapple pieces and coat with the paste mixture. After a minute add the coconut cream and sugar, let it cook so as the liquid has reduced and almost evaporated.
6) Add the cooked rice, raisins and cashew nuts, mix well ensuring all the rice is coated with the pineapple mixture. Spoon the rice mixture into the empty pineapple shells, serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.